- On 13-Jan-2021
- By Drive to Northeast
COVID-19 guidelines to visit Sikkim
As Sikkim Tourism is gearing up for phase-wise opening of the tourism sector, the
present guidelines will be applicable to tourists visiting the state during the 1st Phase of
Sikkim Tourism Unlock 1.0 The guidelines will be issued for subsequent phases of
opening of other tourism sector in the State, till such time, any person intending to visit
Sikkim will be subjected to extant protocols under this guidelines.
- Only domestic tourists and foreign nationals residing in India would be allowed into the state in the first phase.
- Tourists have been ‘advised’ to carry with them a certificate of COVID-negative test. The test should either be RT-PCR or Truenat test. The certificate must be obtained within 72 hours prior to the arrival in the state.
- The state has made it compulsory for tourists to obtain a “Travel Card” by registering on the Sikkim Tourism Web Portal before travelling. This card must be on the tourists’ person at all times during their travel in Sikkim.
- Tourists would have to ensure that their travel in Sikkim is pre-booked with the accommodations complying with health and safety guidelines, as well as travel agents or tour operators.
- The SOP has advised people over 65 years of age, under 10 years of age and those suffering from comorbidities to avoid travel. If they have to travel, they should limit their movement, the SOPs state.
- All tourists would be required to carry protective gear, including face masks, shields, gloves, thermometers and sanitisers at their own end.
- Tourists must also refrain from going into containment zones while traveling.
- The SOPs have further encouraged tourists to undertake digital transactions and limit the use of cash as far as possible.
- Meanwhile, hotels and accommodation units have been directed to not reserve rooms for tourists not registered on the government web portal.
- Hotels located in containment zones would not be allowed to operate.
- Accommodation units permitted to operate would have to prepare at least one room for emergency isolation purposes, in case of any suspected cases,
The SOPs have clearly stated that any tourist suspected to have COVID-19 symptoms would be shifted to an isolation room along with the people travelling with him. Detailed SOPs can be obtained from Sikkim Tourism’s official notice at bit.ly/36X4Wjg